When to Hire a Life Coach
I believe in asking for help from professionals. After all they have been trained and experienced in something that I cannot do myself, whether it is a new hair style, a deep muscle massage or a chiropractic adjustment. Over the last several years, I have found that coaching is a professional service that I have benefited from greatly, specifically life coaching, creativity coaching and business coaching. As a Certified Creativity Coach, a Life Coach and an Entrepreneur Coach, I recognize the value of coaching in a person’s life.
What are the some of the benefits of coaching?
- You can process a particular problem that you may be having, getting to the solution quickly.
- You learn more about your own strengths because you are answering questions about you.
- You are investing in a goal-oriented process that will teach you how to find your own answers based on your needs, desires, and passions.
- You design your plan, learning how from someone who can show you the way.
What are the differences between counseling and coaching?
- Coaching is very exploratory and focused on forward movement.
- Counseling is usually digging in and finding root causes of deep seated issues, very helpful when you may be depressed or experiencing distress/trauma.
- Coaching is going to be the step up from counseling, when you are able to manage and cooperate with yourself, motivated to make necessary changes in your work/life.
- Coaching is co-laboring with your coach to find the path that you wish to take in your business, your life/creativity.
When do you know when it is time to hire a coach?
When you are beginning to think about needing help, then that is the time to get help!
Do you need help to figure out what to do next in your life or business? Is there a decision that you need to make or are you overwhelmed by trying to find the right path?
Asking for help from a professional coach is the best solution if you feel confused, unsure or desire to move your business/life/work/creative work to another level.
What type of coach do you hire?
With the many types of coaches and methods of coaching it can be sometimes an overwhelming task to figure out. But the variety is also awesome! There are many types: writing coach, business coach, life coach, spiritual direction coach, fitness coach, artist coach, creativity coach, relationship coach, yoga coach, even a mail chimp coach! You name it and you will find a coach to fit! Many have online practices that offer coaching via Skype or phone. Some have e-courses that can help you in having a self-paced guided program.
Tips to keep in mind when trying to find a coach:
- Most importantly, know whether they are trained and good at what they do. Look for credentials, experience, referrals, and testimonials.
- Another concern is will you relate well? Look for personality, tribe of followers who seem likeminded and excited by their results, and a method of coaching that suits your particular temperament style.
- Ask for a short consult first and have a list of questions to chat about. Most coaches also want to have a good fit as much as you!
- If you get a red flag, that is ok! It is important to process this with your coach if you need to find another fit. A trained coach will be graceful and understand. It is your investment, so you want to feel very comfortable about your connection and what you want to get out of it.
If you are looking to get out of your own way, and need someone to help you do that with joy and freedom, hire a coach!
As a Licensed Professional Counselor at Miller Counseling Services and a Certified Creativity Coach at Lighted Path® Coaching, I am happy to offer you a free 20 minute consult if you are looking for a life coach, creativity coach or entrepreneur coach. I offer in-person, skype and phone coaching packages as well as group coaching experiences, creativity immersion workshops and retreats, and the Right Brain Business Plan® workshop.
Come join me in the fun at the Free Right Brainers in Business 2014 Video Summit April 7 – 18 2014 with Jennifer Lee, the author of Building Your Business the Right-Brain Way! I am honored to be spotlighted on April 15! It is not too late! Hope to see you there.
Author: Susan S. Miller, PhD, LPCS, NCC for Miller Counseling Services, PC
Susan Miller, PhD, LPCS, NCC is a Psychotherapist, Certified Creativity Coach, Certified Kaizen-Muse™ Creativity Coach, Entrepreneur & Life Coach offers counseling, coaching & creativity workshops that light the path of your life journey through Lighted Path® Coaching and Miller Counseling Services, PC. Along with having 30+ years of counseling, coaching, and group facilitation experience, Susan is a life-time trained artist with a special interest in painting, mixed media and fabric art.
You must be logged in to post a comment.